Reply To: 2017 Jan Elections! Step 3: Campaign Season is Here!

Alarondir
Participant

Greetings, Eagles!

A bit of background on myself – I’ve been a fan of RPG-style games since playing Final Fantasy on my NES back in the day. During my undergrad in the mid-90’s, I was introduced to MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons), which were text-based precursors to MMORPGS such as LOTRO. I had been introduced to programming at a young age; while playing BatMUD, I found I could combine my interest in programming with my love for games, and I started learning how to enhance that game. I have continued to combine the two through my career, and I’m currently a manager & developer at a major tech company.

And yes, I’ve been using the name Alaron online since 1994. :)

My introduction to LOTRO was also a bit of an interesting story. The company I was working for in the late 2000’s was porting games to Mac OS X, and we ended up exploring doing a Mac port of LOTRO with Turbine (might have been approx 2009?). With our tech, we had the game up & running on the Mac quickly. Unfortunately for us, the biz side never got wrapped up, and Turbine ended up creating their own Mac client a few years later in 2012. However, I thus was playing LOTRO on the Mac several years before anybody else was able to!

Fast-forwarding to modern times – I’ve been part of the Eagles since the Great Server Consolidation when Windfola was retired. Bregeniuk & I were welcomed into the kin by Guivien and we have felt comfortable here since.

Why am I running?

The tongue-in-cheek answer is “because I was nominated.” :) The more serious answer is that I would like to help support the kinship & community which welcomed us a year ago now. I have been concerned about the kin’s vibrancy in recent times, and I would like to do my part to help it regain its footing.

What would I like to accomplish?

From my perspective, one of the strengths of the Eagles has been its social characteristics – being welcoming, helping people, friendliness in kin channel, fun group activities such as the treasure chest runs, etc. That is one of the two main aspects I’m looking for in a kinship. The Eagles has historically fulfilled that pretty well, and I’d like to continue encouraging and actively supporting that.

The other main aspect I’m looking for are end-game activities – doing difficult group content, learning tips & techniques together, tackling end-game raids, gathering rare equipment, etc. This is the area where I have not gotten what I’m seeking from the Eagles. I would like to see what can be done to nurture & develop this aspect of the kinship. I don’t have a magic wand or a “5-Step Plan To Kin Raiding Bliss”, but I absolutely believe that developing this aspect would complement the social strengths of the Eagles as opposed to detract from them.

Finally, there’s always day-to-day behind-the-scenes work required for a kin to run smoothly. I’m ready & willing to assist with that work.

In closing – with your support, I look forward to this opportunity to help support the kinship which welcomed me into its midst so warmly.

//Alaron