META: rash of spammers joining up

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      saedhillian
      Keymaster

Mae govannen!

SPAMMERS & SCAMMERS ALERT
      Site admin talk here. The service we’ve used for years to prevent spammers/sploggers signing up and abusing the forum has been suspended. It was really effective so I’m hoping this is only a temporary situation.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR ME?
      It means you might get messages from people pretending to be site members. There’s a private message function built into the forums and they’re using it to send dodgy links. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK!
      It might be malware or it might be, er, “adult” images, I don’t know. Just don’t click it.

TELL ME IF ANYTHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING
      If you notice peculiar things on the forums let me know: saedhillian@gmail.com

Thank you. Now get back on your horse and slay some trolls/dragons/orcs.

Saed

Seremond
      Participant

Hi, Saed, I received the following four times last night, all auto-generated with the exact same time stamp (to the minute). Got’em by email because I have forwarding on.

Eagles of Thorondor <saedhillian@gmail.com>
      5:13 AM (4 hours ago)

coopermarie sent you a new message: “HELLO”

“Hello Dear
      i saw your profile and became interested in you, my name is Marie Cooper i am working with united State Army, i will like to have a friend like you,
      i have something to share with you, please email me through
      (coopermarie442@gmail.com) for more information about me, i will check my mail to know if you have contacted me because i am working at the moment.”

Go to the discussion to reply or catch up on the conversation: https://www.eaglesofthorondor.com/forums/members/seremond/messages/view/180/

saedhillian
        Keymaster

Thanks Sere. Looks like a lot of us have had that same message. I got it and a couple of others (hi Nida! hi Kali!) did too.

Really sorry folks. Just delete the email and the message here on your forum message list. Hopefully the new spam-protection I’ve enabled will stop any more coming through.

Maedhirien
      Participant

Hi,

I just received the message (twice) this morning.

I will check out how to delete them :-).

Thank you, Saedh.

Maed

Slyvania
      Participant

I was wondering about that!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.