New Coursera Course

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Nidalal
      Participant

There will be a new Coursera course in June. The forum for Courser help is closed. Maybe this should be reopened for the event?

Unfortunately I will not be able to help for this session as I have been allocated another server for in game mentor.

Best wishes

Nida

Nidalal
      Participant

Start date is 7th June but we May get people creating characters before then. I will be working on the Coursera forum but happy to answer questions here as well if it will help you out?

Cayrith
      Participant

Is Arkenstone going to be one of the recommended servers, do you know?

Nidalal
      Participant

I don’t know Cayrith. Jay Clayton normally contacts the Kin leaders directly to inform then what is going on. He only contacted me as I will be a community TA. Because I am in Europe it is better for me to be online mentor on a European server.
      I would imagine than Guiv would be the contact for this Kin.

Guiv do you know?

saedhillian
      Keymaster

Hello, Coursera-interested people.

I know the Prof has approached the Eagles, but the Council still need to talk about whether the kinship has capacity to support the influx of new members.

Personally, since Coursera is the reason the Eagles came into being, I’d like us to welcome new Coursera students, but I also know from previous sessions that it does take a lot of work.

Watch this space, as they say.

guiviendoomslayer
      Participant

Hey guys,

As Saed says, the Eagles have been approached and the Council is discussing the possibility. We’ll keep everyone informed!

Best,

Gui

Nidalal
      Participant

OK thanks. I will keep a look out for the updates. :)

Kalicos
      Participant

I was wondering when the next course would be… I’m going to sign up for it a second time, as I had so much fun the first time over and I am certain there will be value in completing it again (I always miss things the first time over!). Ergo, I will be around and I am more than willing help out. Please do let me know if you need extra hands on deck as the Eagles and their help really made the course so enjoyable for me, and you guys are the reason I have continued to play after its completion, so the least I can do is pay that forward! :]

guiviendoomslayer
      Participant

Hey guys,

It’s official – the Eagles will be one of only four kinships officially suggested for the next session of the Online Games course! It begins on June 6th. Kali, we’ll definitely take you up on that offer as we’ll need the help – thank you so much for thinking of it. More deets to come in the near future.

Best,

Guivien

Nidalal
      Participant

That is great news Guiv!!

Links will be posted on the Coursera site to my notes. There may be some changes/additions but I will make those as the course progresses. I posted a link to the notes in the Coursera help forum some time ago.

I am happy to help with any questions posted to that forum during the course, and of course help out if time permits.

Anonymous
      Inactive

That’s great. I loved the class. Will be happy to help out. :)

Kalicos
      Participant

Hey all,

I just wanted to touch base with y’all here – this year’s course start date has been mentioned as June 6th but it hasn’t become available for me yet on Coursera. I can still access last year’s course, and I have added Future Sessions to my watchlist but nothing’s come through as yet. Just wondering if there’s any news as it seems to be leaving it somewhat late for registrations with just 2 weeks left until the start date? Last year I remember getting about six weeks notice.

guiviendoomslayer
      Participant

Kali,

I talked to the professor about this last week, as I was concerned as well. He said that Coursera’s policy had changed and that he couldn’t open registration until one week prior to the class commencing, which I think sounds odd…and may hurt registration numbers. I’m now sure, however, about why the dates aren’t announced on the site yet. I may send him an email to verify that course is still on for June 6th.

Best,

Gui

Kalicos
      Participant

Yes does seem a little odd – it doesn’t give people much time to prepare. Thanks for checking up, Gui! :)

Anonymous
      Inactive

As of today it’s still not showing up as being open for people to register. I wonder if it got postponed. Look forward to helping out no matter when it does start. :)

guiviendoomslayer
      Participant

Hello Nim and everyone,

The class has been postponed by one or two weeks. The professor should let me know in the next day or two what the new start date is.

Gui

Kalicos
      Participant

Hey guys

If you didn’t know already, there is a new URL for this year’s offering as coursera seem to be changing/have changed their system. Thanks Gui for chasing up with the Prof and letting me know – I thought it would be a good idea to put it here too in case we miss people in game.

The new url is https://www.coursera.org/learn/onlinegames and it’s now open for enrolments!

Aglarwen
      Participant

Thanks, Kali! I was just coming to post that myself. :)

Nidalal
      Participant

The course is now open for preview. It will start on Monday 13th June – Tomorrow.

Enrollment will end on 18th June. However this course is going to be one that is permanently on the site for people to take whenever they want – so no worries if you are not ready for this session. I’m not sure how the course work will work under the new method.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Nidalal.
      Kalicos
      Participant

Hmm, interesting!

Would it be possible to get the Coursera Help forums reopened for new topics and replies? It’s closed at the moment and it occurs to me it would be useful to have available :)

Nidalal
      Participant

The forums should open tomorrow when the course starts.

Most of the course roll out is controlled by Coursera and not by Jay and his team. They were not even forewarned of this preview opening up and thought the course had opened early – bit of a panic for a moment.

Kalicos
      Participant

Thanks Nida, but I meant our ‘Coursera Help’ forum category here on the Eagles Site :)

Nidalal
      Participant

Oh yes – that would be useful. Guiv?

Another handy link http://lotroplayers.com/2016/06/11/coursera-online-games-course-begins-june-13/

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.